We are a coastal community. We either live or love to play on the beach.
Our coast stretches some 98km from the Mokau River in the north to the Hangatahua (Stony) River in the south.
Central Government wants to ensure that our coastal areas are protected, especially those areas which are less developed.
From Ōākura north the coast is showing a long-term trend of coastal erosion. Coastal flooding also affects our low lying river mouths. Parts of the coast are affected differently by erosion and flooding and need localised responses such as for the coastal towns of Ōākura, Waitara and Onaero.
We need to make sure that housing and buildings are built in a way that considers coastal erosion and flooding.
The coastal environment has important landscapes that contribute to the character of our district.
We need to make sure that housing and buildings are built in a way that is sensitive to the coastal environment.
Activities that are allowed and may not require a resource consent are:
Examples of activities that require resource consent are:
• Identify and update maps of the coastal environment in the Draft District Plan.
• Identify areas at risk from coastal hazards within the next 100 years and update our hazard maps.
• Identify outstanding landscapes and natural features within the coast.
• Protect the natural character of our coast, including controls to restrict the removal of coastal vegetation.
• Provide stronger direction as to where development and building can take place on the coast.
• Keep refining information about hazards in some of our more affected communities.
You can continue to do what you are doing despite any new rules that may be introduced. However, if you intend to change what you are doing then you may be subject to new rules. This only applies once the new plan is approved.
We had a great turn out to the beach walk and talk sessions and open days. It was a great opportunity to discuss the draft District Plan further with residents. Below are the fact sheets for each walk that was undertaken.
Was this page useful?
Page last updated: 04:26PM Tue 26 October 2021