Kai i te huarahi

On-street dining

On-street dining is an area on a public footpath, attached to a restaurant, café or bar, where people can sit down to eat and drink.

On-street dining must be part of a restaurant, café or bar that is licensed to sell food and/or alcohol. 

If you would like to establish on-street dining as part of your business, you will need to complete an encroachment licence application.

Good Home Outside

Applying for an on-street dining licence

  1. Read our New Plymouth on-street dining guidelines. This outlines all of the factors you need to consider and gives you the information you need to complete the encroachment licence application form.
  2. Fill in the encroachment licence application form and make sure you have a management plan, a site plan and elevations. These are all explained in the guidelines.
  3. Make sure you have the relevant alcohol licence and/or food licence
  4. Submit your application form and pay the application fee.

We will assess your application and contact you with any questions. We will let you know if your application is approved or declined.

If you have any questions please contact us. More information is available in the policy - Encroachment Licences for On-Street Dining.


New Plymouth on-street dining guidelines
Application for an encroachment licence