Ngā rerenga wai, te tiaki me te whakahou

Water leaks, maintenance and upgrades

We are responsible for the maintenance of 120km of trunk mains and 560km of service mains piping water throughout the district. This includes the mains and pipes leading up to your boundary and your toby or manifold.

Reporting water leaks 

If you notice a water leak on a road, in a park or reserve, or on someone else’s property please let us know – giving as much information as possible about the leak (e.g. location, size). If the leak is on private property, we'll get in touch with the land owner to get it fixed.  

Some leaks require urgent attention, while others can be fixed under normal response times. Please call us on 06 759 6060 or email us.

Water leaks on private property 

Should I call NPDC or a plumber?

Water mains refreshing

Water mains refreshing, or flushing, happens when we open up hydrants for up to 20 minutes to run fresh water though pipe networks that are not frequently used (e.g. in cul-de-sacs and dead end roads).

This sometimes causes water pressure to drop, however it seldom drops below the minimum level we've set. 

Water supply disruption notices

Looking for information on water shutdowns?

View our public service announcements