Te hoko i ngā huarahi ture kāore anō kia whakahoutia

Purchasing unformed legal roads

An unformed legal road (commonly called paper road) is land that is legally designated for road purposes but is not currently a formed carriageway. 

To stop an unformed legal road, and remove its implied rights as a road, is called road stopping.

To purchase an unformed legal road, you need to fill in an application form. Your application must include an explanation on why you would like to purchase the unformed legal road, and an aerial photo or plan clearly indicating the area proposed to be purchased. A non-refundable application fee applies. 

Application for road stopping form


We will then check to ensure there are no known requirements for the road to continue to exist, or any reason for the road to be stopped. Adjoining owners may also be offered the right to acquire part of the road.

If your application is accepted you will need to enter into a formal agreement to meet all costs in connection with the stopping, whether or not the procedure is successful, and to purchase the stopped road at the price set by an independent valuer (if applicable).