Whakaaetanga rauemi whakamahi whenua

Land use resource consent

You’ll need to apply for land use resource consent if you want to undertake an activity that impacts the environment.

These activities might include horticulture, building and alterations, building close to an archaeological site or removal of vegetation. The District Plan outlines the rules around activities that are permitted in the New Plymouth District. These rules exist to minimise the harmful effects that activities may have on the surrounding area and on the environment.

Find out more on our resource consents page


Examples of when a resource consent may be required include:

  • running an event
  • building too close to the boundary/windows to habitable rooms within 1.5m of a boundary
  • building too high in relation to the boundary (daylighting)
  • exceeding maximum height restrictions
  • exceeding site coverage restrictions
  • significant earthworks or earthworks on a steep slope
  • a reduction in required parking.
  • building close to an archaeological site or waahi tapu
  • changing a protected heritage building.
  • building in a hazard area, such as the coast or close to a river that is known to flood.

When your consent application affects other parties, they could be involved in the approval process.