He whakaaetanga mō ngā ipu me ngā āraitanga rangitahi

Permits for skip bins and other temporary obstructions

All skip bins and other temporary obstructions need to be placed on your property wherever possible. If the obstruction is placed outside your property boundary on public land you may need a permit to allow for public access and safety. Public land includes the footpath, berm and road.

To apply for a permit either email us at enquiries@npdc.govt.nz, fill in our online application form, or give us a call on 06 759 6060. You will need to provide:

  • Your name and address.
  • A clear description of where you wish to place the object.
  • How you will minimise any safety issues.

We will check your application and, where approved, you'll be issued a letter stating the approval with any conditions. 

We require two working days' notice for approving permits for a skip bin and five working days for any other object.

Skip bins cannot be placed on footpaths and a minimum 500mm clearance is required around fire hydrants and utility covers (telco, water, gas etc). Permission will not be granted for use of bus stops, taxi stands, mobility spaces, loading zones or on yellow broken lines without a traffic management plan.

Some common items which require a temporary obstruction permit are:

  • Skip bins.
  • Scaffolding.
  • Containers.
  • Scissor lifts.
  • Port-a-com buildings.
  • Cranes.