- The Government has set up an independent panel to look at our system of councils over the next 30 years.
- With changes coming to three waters, resources and planning, the Government believes it makes sense to look at how councils work.
- The government wants councils to be more flexible and adaptable to community needs.
- It also wants them to work with iwi/hapū for better community outcomes.
- The panel presented the draft report to Government in October 2022.
- Feedback on the draft report is open from October 2022 to February 2023 and a final report is expected in June 2023.
- The Government will then decide whether to implement the recommendations after it receives the final report.
- For more information, go to the Department of Internal Affairs.
- You can read Ko Tātou-Local Government New Zealand’s take on the changes here.