To vote in a local body election you need to be registered on the electoral role.

You are eligible to enrol if you:

  • are 18-years of age or older
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • have lived in New Zealand, continuously, at any time for one year or more.
  • have lived at your current address for more than one month
  • are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll
  • are resident outside of the New Plymouth District and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in the New Plymouth District.
NPDC Ballot Box


All parliamentary electors, including those on the Māori Electoral Roll, are automatically enrolled on the Resident Roll, at the address where they live.

Any alterations to the Resident Roll (e.g. change of address details, including new postal addresses) should be made by:


Electoral system

The single transferable voting (STV) electoral system will be used for the New Plymouth District Council. The Taranaki Regional Council will use the first past the post (FPP) electoral system.

STV system

Voters must rank candidates, using numbers, in order of preference. You can find out more information on this system on the STV website.

FPP system

Electors vote by indicating their preferred candidate(s), and the candidate(s) that receives the most votes is declared the winner, regardless of the proportion of votes that candidate(s) received.


Non-resident ratepayer roll

If you are on the electoral roll in one area and pay rates on a property in another, you may be eligible to be enrolled on the non-resident ratepayer roll.
A firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (provided the nominated person resides outside the area).

More information is available in the flyer below or you can download the ratepayer enrolment form.