Rēhita he pākihi kai

Register a food business

If you operate a business that makes, serves, sells or transports food you may need to register with NPDC.

Our environmental health team will check your business to make sure you are meeting the requirements of your plan or programme and making food that is safe and suitable to eat. 

There are different plans and programmes depending on the type of business you run.  The easiest way to work out the type of plan you need to use is to work your way through the My Food Rules tool on the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) website. 

Food control plans and national programmes

Many food businesses are registered under a food control plan or a national programme. Find out which one is right for your business by using My Food Rules. There is more information on food control plans and national programmes below. If your business is operating under a template food control plan or is in a national programme you can register with us. If you have a custom food control plan you will need to register with MPI.

Man cooking over flame