King's Birthday opening hours

12:00am 03 Jun 2024

Over the King's Birthday public holiday (Monday 3 June 2024) some of our facilities will be closed or have reduced hours.

Find out more
Mahere whakahaere waka

Traffic management plans

A traffic management plan (TMP) details how a safe environment will be created for all road users while your work or activity takes place on the roading corridor (road footpath or berm).

The plan will detail all signage, temporary traffic controls and detours (if necessary) to allow your activity to take place. We have adopted Waka Kotahi NZTA's Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM). This describes best practice for the safe and efficient management and operation of temporary traffic management on all roads in New Zealand. Its application applies to any activity that varies the normal conditions of any road and applies to the total road corridor. Sometimes a TMP is also required for activities taking place on private property that increases traffic flow, such as a construction site.

NPDC does not prepare TMPs, but you can contact traffic management companies or a qualified individual to prepare this plan on your behalf.

All traffic management plans must be submitted electronically,

  • either using beforeUdig for excavation projects that also require services to be located
  • or using Submitica for other work.

When are traffic management plans required?

You need a traffic management plan any time the work or activity varies the normal operating conditions of the road or footpath. If pedestrians, cyclists and traffic cannot use the road as they usually would, or you need signage to manage a site, you may need a traffic management plan.

Sometimes other NPDC permits or permissions are required alongside your TMP:

  1. Planning to dig in a street, footpath, road berm or ‘paper road’ administered by us.
    You may require a corridor access request. Further information about how or when to apply for CAR can be found at Corridor access requests.
  2. Placing an obstruction like scaffolding, a container or a scissor lift on the footpath or road.
    Further information can be found at Permits for skip bins and other temporary obstructions.
  3. Events.
    If you are organising an event on or near the road, or an event that will increase traffic in a location you may need a TMP.  Event organisers are responsible for all costs associated with a TMP, which can vary depending on the size and location of your event.  For further information about holding an event on or near the road footpath or berm and gaining Council permission for this, see Events on the road and footpath.