Terribly good news for the TSB Showplace!
One of the best-loved comedians in the world, Jimmy Carr, has announced that he will be returning to the TSB Showplace on Wednesday 11 January 2023 and the NPDC owned venue is the very first stop on the comedian’s NZ tour.
The performance is part of a 12-date visit to Aotearoa for Carr's Terribly Funny tour and is a coup for the 955-seat theatre, which previously hosted the comedian in 2018.
“It’s pretty special that we’re the first stop of Jimmy’s NZ tour and we’re delighted to welcome him back. It’s fantastic to have another international act coming to the region over summer, the perfect opportunity to take visiting friends or whānau out for dinner in our city centre, followed by a night of laughs with a world-class entertainer”, says Teresa Turner, NPDC’s Group Manager, Community and Customer Services.
Tickets to see the outrageous comedian, known for his deadpan delivery, go on sale 9am Monday 27 June via Ticketek, or sign up to Encore (TSB Showplace database) for early access to tickets on Thursday 23 June 2022.
Jimmy Carr: Terribly Fun Tour fast facts
- The TSB Showplace, New Plymouth, is the first stop on Jimmy’s NZ tour.
- Tickets will be on general sale from 9am Monday 27 June via Ticketek.
- The Terribly Funny tour will see the comedian appear at:
Wednesday 11 January TSB Showplace (New Plymouth), Thursday 12 January Royal Whanganui Opera House, Friday 13 January Regent on Broadway (Palmerston North), Saturday 14 January Michael Fowler Centre (Wellington), Monday 16 January Trafalgar Centre (Nelson), Tuesday 17 January Christchurch Arena, Wednesday 18 January Dunedin Town Hall, Thursday 19 January Civic Theatre (Invercargill), Saturday 21 January Kiri Te Kanawa (Auckland), Wednesday 25 January ToiToi Events Centre (Hawkes Bay), Thursday 26 January Trustpower Arena Baypark (Tauranga), Friday 27 January Globox Arena (Hamilton).
- Jimmy Carr has been a comedian for over a decade and a half. He’s performed 10 sell-out tours, playing over 2500 shows to more than 2.5 million people. He’s won the British Comedy Award for Best Live Stand-Up Tour and been nominated for the Perrier Award. His most recent stand-up comedy special was the most streamed on Netflix in the UK in 2021.
- His television credits include over 20 series as host of panel show 8 Out Of 10 Cats, 18 series of spin-off 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and 10 years presenting Channel 4’s Big Fat Quiz Of The Year. He has also hosted three series of Roast Battle on Comedy Central UK and recorded his own Netflix panel show, The Fix, in 2019, with all episodes available to stream now.
- The Terribly Funny tour kicked off in May 2019 and will visit every corner of the UK and Ireland before heading off to Australia and New Zealand.
TSB Showplace fast facts
- The TSB Showplace is the region’s main theatre and conference venue.
- Built in 1925, it was originally named the New Plymouth Opera House.
- The main auditorium is the TSB Theatre.
- In 1998 the building was renovated and extended, adding a second auditorium, the Theatre Royal, and the Alexandra Room.
- In 2013 the building was extensively earthquake strengthened.
- The TSB Theatre has a capacity of 957 – Theatre Royal has 527 and the Alexandra Room depends on the planned use of the venue.
- Around 52,000 people go to the TSB Showplace each year to see comedy, musicals, plays, classical concerts and more.
- This will be the second time Jimmy Carr has appeared at the TSB Showplace. His first show in 2018 sold out, leading to a second performance being added.
- To be the first to know about event announcements, exclusive offers and discounts, sign up to the NPEV database.