Ngā mahi hanga kāore i rēhitahia , kāore rānei i tuhia

Unpermitted or unrecorded building work

Outstanding building consents

Under the Building Act 2004, you have two years from the granting date of the building consent to complete your building work and have a code compliance certificate (CCC) issued for it. A CCC provides a guarantee of the quality of building work done and will help you insure your property or sell it in the future.

Application for code compliance certificate form

Man writing on a clipboard

Unpermitted or unrecorded building work

A building consent is generally required before any building work starts - there is no such thing as a retrospective building consent. Exceptions to when a consent is needed are listed under Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004, and tend to be of a small scale, being within certain dimensional or volume limitations.

Please be aware that even if a project doesn’t need a building consent, you still need to adhere to other Acts, regulations and bylaws.

Building inspector on site

Frequently asked questions