The Main Street Fund helps building owners or tenants in central New Plymouth to improve the frontage and/or signage of the building. It is designed to enhance the vibrancy and character of city centre to make it more attractive to shoppers and to potential tenants.
The fund distributes up to $50,000 per year. Funding applications are open, closing on November 26, 2021.
• Colours must be in keeping with the era of the building and approved by NPDC
• Street art on buildings will be considered if a mock-up design is provided
• Signage must be in keeping with the building design and approved by NPDC.
• Restoration of architectural details and masonry work
• Fire escapes, awnings/canopies and shutters
• Verandas, outside stairs, cleaning of the walls and roof
• Removal of unsightly features that do not fit the style of the building
• Installation of decorative lighting, verandas and appropriate architectural features.
• The building must be located in the New Plymouth city centre
• The owner/occupier should contribute at least one third of the total project cost
• At least two quotes must be provided
• Priority will be given to applicants who have not had grants from this fund before
• We will also consider the attributes of the building, its location, occupancy and the urgency of the work.
• Owners of heritage buildings must first seek funding from the Built Heritage Fund. It this is granted, they cannot apply to Façade Enhancement Fund
• Funding will not be given to work that is underway and/or finished
• Only one application per building, per year will be considered
• The work must be completed satisfactorily, an evidence report completed and signed off by an NPDC officer and all GST invoices provided before full and final payment is made
• The funding must be used within 12 months of approval.
• Applications can be made in the link below
• Applications from tenants must have written approval and support from the building owner
• Applications can be received at any time
• Decisions are usually made in 4 to 6 weeks after receiving the application.
• Once the work is finished a report must be provided documenting receipts of services and/or goods, and photographic evidence of the work completed. Any unspent funds must be returned to NPDC.
Was this page useful?
Page last updated: 02:05PM Tue 02 November 2021